GMH - Sound

One of the things GMH really wanted when they contracted these films was that they be playable without sound so that being worried about listening to an information video on your sexual health in a public place wouldn't put you off. I kept this in mind the entire way through the creation of this film. It was a huge driving force in why the film was narrated through speech bubbles and mathematics. I wanted to make sure that at no point was sound absolutely crucial.

Of course I wanted sound there however. I wanted you to have the option. Setting it in a club gave me a huge direction to steer in when it came to sound because I obviously needed club music.

I think I thought a bit too hard about this part because I was over complicating it. I was going to have muffled club music and have it dip in volume when the maths came up and then there were going to be popping and pinging noises when the bubbles came up and by the time it came to looking for the track to use as the music I really didn't want any more than just the track. After all they are in a club so you wouldn't hear anything else.

I had this idea for the music in my head too. This whole film was inspired by games and how game characters typically talked to each other or expressed things in their games. Which was through speech bubbles. The character design is also heavily influenced by the characters from dumb ways too die which is a popular mobile app game. So I thought that if I could help it I would like to keep the track feeling old fashioned game play or menu music.

I ended up picking three tracks from kevin MacLeod that I really liked. (Seriously do we use anyone else?!) and all three of them fitted to the film really well. I had quite a hard time picking actually because there was something very fitting about all three of them. However in the end practicality won over and I picked the track that allowed me to focus more on what was happening when I was watching. When I was listening to overcast I didn't think it was as overpowering as the others and i just thought they sat together far better than who likes to party or disco con tutti did.

Here are links to the other two tracks I liked but didn't use




So that was it, the last big decision I had to make for this film. I recently found that Waverly Care is right round the corner from my house and I can pop in to talk to them some time soon about these films. Which means hopefully it won't be too long till I can put a brand on the end and hand them over to them. Which is very exciting because I'd like for them to have them.

But that's it! GMH all done and dusted!


No comments:

Post a Comment