The jewellery collaborative

Ok so as mentioned the last few weeks we've been doing a collaborative with jewellery. There' been me, Ana and Vas from jewellery working on it.

At the start of the project we sat down and thought about what kind of jewellery we could make. The aim of the project was to enhance our understanding of one of the pieces by the inclusion of the other. So without the film the jewellery would make less sense than it could and vis versa. So we immediately knew we wanted to create a piece of jewellery that animated itself. Meaning to say kinetic jewellery. Here's another link to my pinterest with all my ideas through out the project in them because there are a few pieces in there that we looked at to start out with:

https://www.pinterest.com/Abimation/jewellery-meets-animation/

So we thought about it for a while and were really intrigued by the idea of these necklaces that the image moves across when you turn your head. We liked the idea that it was propelled by something that you do all the time anyway. It was quite whimsical and we liked that. We however felt that because of their simplicity there wasn't anywhere for Ana and I to add anything to them through film.

Then Vas suggested we do something with ferrofluid which is something she'd used in a previous project. We instantly loved the idea and it went down really well with the staff. As things progressed the idea became how far we can push this magnetism connection and we decided it would be cool if the jewellery not only reacted to the wearers heart beat as stimulus but also other pieces of the same jewellery. So now we had several ideas to through around and the project developed in to an exploration of these ideas and themes. We knew we'd never be able to achieve all we wanted in the time we had so we decided to use that to our strength, our film now had purpose and that purpose was to fill in the gaps!

The first thing I did as a film maker was make a script. I wrote down what needed to be explained and what needed a visual interpretation to make the jewellery make sense. I wrote it out and then cut it down to a reasonable length. Then once I was happy with terminology and flow I storyboarded it out. When it came to animating admittedly I change several scenes and added things into the gaps but that always happens.

I then handed the script over to a friend and recorded him speaking it through. Once this was done there was just animating and live footage to be shot and edited.

I just finished that yesterday. Although I'm still wrestling in my head whether I'm happy with the backgrounds. I think I am, I think it adds a sophisticated edge. But with the deadline being the first day back I have no way to confirm these things with my team and I really just have to trust myself on this one...  I think I'll watch it again and make sure I'm definitely happy then submit it. Ana doesn't know anything about editing anyway and I think Vas will just be delighted about it.

So all in all thats the end of the jewellery project!

No comments:

Post a Comment