The jewellery colab

So this one I can't talk as much about because I came in a week after the project started and all the plans had been decided and set in motion so I can skip all the "here's my plan and why" crap.

But my group decided to make a thaumatrope or two. Thaumatropes are those magical spinning discs that puts birds in cages and such. we have made two. Well we made three but we didn't do one right. My group decided to create them based on circus' and victorian things. So there's a punch and judy one and a jack in the box one.

Then they also made a optical illusion which involves putting several pictures cut into stripes behind another set of stripes with the same intervals printed on acetate. The movement allows you to see one cell at a time and because of this as you move the first set of stripes the image moves. My group have created a box in which to slide them into and close for a compact illusion. There are a total of three of these illusions in the box.

In addition to these optical toys (of which I am going to create a number of in my free time because they're awesome) We are creating a collection of phonotropes as well. Phonotropes are fabulous. I have created some before in a project I mentioned before. They were great fun and I got a lot of inspiration from them. This time round I decided to try a bit more coherence with them. Which was directly ignoring advice from jared but there are plenty of tropes and lots of possibilities. Again these tropes are circus themed. So my current phonotrope has a seal balancing on a ball with another ball balancing on his nose. My colleague Ana's trope includes clowns, elephants and snakes at the moment. We're hoping it looks really snazzy in the end.

Anyway that's the project. I will update you later with some images of the finished pieces in their exhibition space on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment