PBC Foundation

Last project I have to mention is the PBC foundation project.

I really like this charity they're small, they're excited by what we're doing and I'm looking forward to the project. They're looking for something to describe to the children of the people effected by the condition what it is that the are going through. They were really pretty flexible with it all but we haven't managed to make many inroads into this project yet because those involved have been on annual leave which means we only managed to meet with them the first time a couple of weeks ago. 

Before we had gone, however, Abby, Amanda and I had agreed that we should prepare as much as possible before we met them to compensate for the lost time. We agreed between us to take a look at how many films we felt we could make from the information we were trying to convey and we decided on three. This was brilliant because they had also reconsidered the original number they had asked and were now sitting at about three logical films as well.

When we attended the first meeting they had asked us to bring along some examples of visualised versions of the symptoms of PBC. I created a few more literal versions to start off with and then moved into some more simplistic linear work. I couldn't help but feel like there was no need to create a metaphorical version of symptoms that have physical attributes, like fatigue because they are evident enough. But symptoms such as swelling and fluid in your stomach are not necessarily obvious.

They had previously told me they liked the information videos produced by the RSA which are a bit like hand drawn illustrations. While we felt collectively as a group that we wanted to do something a bit more we obviously took their initial stylistic preferences into account;


These films bore me a bit but I think when they asked us to look at these they were more focused on the metaphorical element. But I knew if I was bored by these films then children definitely would be. This got me thinking about the type of films that keep children's attention. Bright colours and exagerated movement. While I am aware this is a not a young young audience. They will be somewhere between 8 and 12, I still think these elements are in play. Just more so joint with the a more complicated narrative. 

So the drawings I produced for them look like this:



In addition I showed them my showreel and they very much liked my digital elements especially one of my 10x20x15's with the moon and the astronaut. 



I was very pleased to hear that as that meant all the pieces were falling into place pretty simply. When I say that I mean the image I had build in my head of the kind of film I wanted to make here, that I thought would be successful were being approved. I didn't need to convince them that this was the right decision as they were easily happy with the things I was thinking.

Drawing on what I was saying before about the colours and the movements I was taking inspiration from things like the oreo advert and the american express adverts when thinking about this film. Because it all works in metaphors I would like it to move nicely from scene to scene because otherwise I am scared there will be a lack of movement within the piece and it could become very boring very quickly so I was looking at films of those styles as references. When I showed them at the meeting on thursday they were excited by the idea and liked the flow of them which was what I was hoping for. So for the moment I have a good direction to head in.

(American Express)


(Vampire wonderfilled oreo advert)

Which just meant that from here we needed the narrative. We have discussed and agreed on a deadline in which to retrieve finalised audio by and until then there will be some backing and frothing between us as we develop material around their developing audio. Our deadline is finalised because they have to take the films to their funding body and begin to get it finalised so that is an absolute so we are all concerned about sticking to this deadline. We will be sent some audio as soon as possible and we can begin on the films from there.

At the moment the only thing we know for sure about this project is that there will be three films. The themes of which will be;

  • What is PBC
  • How your guardian is going to feel it
  • What you can do and where to get help

Link to my pinterest where I've been collecting ideas and influences for this project:



1 comment:

  1. Excellent article. Keep writing such kind of info on your site.
    I’m really impressed by it.
    You can visit my blog to get very important tips on Beauty, Fashion , Health, Relationship and Skin Care

    ReplyDelete